Scituate FACTS Open Coalition Meeting Agenda
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Community Room, Scituate Town Library
6:30 – 6:45pm Welcome – Annmarie Galvin
- Introduce Ron Griffin, Superintendent of Schools
6:45 – 7:00pm Coalition Overview and Outcomes
- See reverse for updates since our last Coalition Meeting – Barbara Quinlan
- Slideshow of our projects/progress – Annmarie Galvin
- Data highlights – Greg Ranieri
7:00 – 7:20pm Presentation: Opioid Dispensing Practices – Dr. Michael Geary, South Shore Health Orthopedics
7:20 – 8:00pm Action Plan for Year 5 of DFC grant
- Handout of Action Plan Summary
- Volunteer Projects and Committees – meet with project leads around the room!
Upcoming FACTS Events & Volunteer Opportunities
September 26, 2017 – Youth Health Connection Conference – 7th Annual Prevention of Underage Drinking and Substance Use Conference at Lombardo’s in Randolph. The theme for this year is “Empowered Coalition Educating Youth & Communities about Marijuana.” More than 12 members of the Scituate FACTS Coalition, including students, will participate again this year!
September 27, 2017 – “If They Had Known” documentary film screening, from 4:30-6:00pm, Hingham Middle School
1103 Main Street, Hingham. The Hingham/Hull/Cohasset coalitions are offering this opportunity for stakeholders to preview a new film that was created by friends of a young man from the North Shore who passed away after mixing prescription pills and alcohol. While it is intended for young people, Scituate FACTS representatives will attend to consider the film for a potential showing in our community. Additional screeners are welcome, reserve here: if-they-had-known-tickets-37898469342
Throughout September: “Weeding through the Myths” Mondays and Wednesdays: 5:00-7:00pm; Tuesdays and Thursdays: 10:00am-1:00pm; Saturdays: 1:00-3:00pm, at the Hanover Mall (across from Foot Locker).
An interactive educational display created by South Shore Hospital to provide insight on upcoming changes in Massachusetts related to the recreational use of Marijuana. It is open to the public and appropriate for kids. Check it out!
October 24, 2017 – Statewide Coalition Training – all day, EDC in Waltham. MassTapp is the technical assistance provider for Coalitions in Massachusetts. Their annual conference will cover a variety of workshops for coalition leaders and volunteers. Scituate FACTS is presenting on sector engagement! Please contact Annmarie if you are interested in learning best practices and networking with other coalitions: email@example.com
October 24, 2017 – South Shore FACTS Meeting, 2:30-4:00, South Shore VNA, 30 Reservoir Park Drive, Rockland.
Special Presentation from Allies in Recovery- learn more about this free online learning platform for families –
developed with the evidenced-based CRAFT tool (www.alliesinrecovery.net). Contact Barbara if you would be interested in attending on behalf of Scituate firstname.lastname@example.org
November 5, 2017 – Scituate FACTS presents “The Power of Prevention” Summit, 12:30-4:00pm, Gates Middle School Campus.
A free conference for all of us who are parenting, teaching, coaching and raising children in Scituate; featuring resource information and a variety of experts from the field. Onsite childcare provided through
Scituate Recreation. Pre-registration details coming soon!
Updates since April Coalition Meeting:
- April 26 – Scituate Town Meeting – Article 14 passed to introduce a temporary zoning moratorium on local marijuana establishments until November 2018
- May 25 – School nurses and counseling team completed SBIRT training. SBIRT is a verbal substance use screening for students in Grades 8 and 10 in Scituate which will be implemented this academic year in Massachusetts Public Schools.
- June – “Choices” documentary – The Steverman family shared PJ’s story continuing this meaningful tradition for our graduating seniors
- June – Scituate Mariner and SPS Newsletter Vaping 101 article
- June 15 – Presentation at the orientation training for Scituate Rec Program summer staff, by Kevin Rosario of Gosnold on Cape Cod. Kevin addressed the program directors and staff about the importance of being a positive role model and mentor to the young people participating in summer camps.
- June 19 – Alcohol enforcement training for retail liquor stores, BAT (Beverage Alcohol Training) at Scituate Public Safety Complex was a huge success and was attended by 27 people representing 11 local stores. BAT is a certified training delivered by Masspack, training includes, acceptable forms of ID, recognizing fake IDs, handling intoxicated customers, preventing underage and second party sales, compliance with local and state laws.
- June – Scituate Public Schools Substance Misuse Prevention Policy was adopted by School Committee
- June – Summer underage drinking enforcement began, these additional patrols conducted by the Scituate police are funded by our DFC grant.
- July 18 – Community Training on Opioid Overdose and use of Narcan, Scituate Senior Center
- July 23-27 – CADCA Midyear Training Institute, Atlanta; national training conference for prevention coalitions. This conference was attended by Barbara Quinlan, Scituate FACTS Project Manager and Scituate Police Officers, Taylor Billings and Mike Prouty.
- August – Planning Committee meeting for November Prevention Conference
- August 31 – Sunrise Vigil for International Overdose Awareness Day, Rev. Pamela Barz of the UUC led this non-denominational service of remembrance, music and singing was provided by a group of Scituate High School chorus members.
- September 12,14, 16 – Weeding Through the Myths: Marijuana in Massachusetts at Hanover Mall , Scituate FACTS facilitated guiding guests through this educational community display which will be open all month.