Please join us for an important Monthly Open Coalition Meeting!
Scituate FACTS Open Coalition Meeting Agenda
This month we will – Share project updates since our last coalition meeting:
• Re-cap our first Youth Mental Health Awareness Event
• Share info about regional public Recovery High School www.iarecoveryhs.org
• Provide info on a proposed temporary moratorium on local marijuana establishments, to be considered at April 26th Town Meeting
Discuss new business:
• Open Q&A period – bring your questions about local trends, prevention strategies, or whatever is on your mind!
• Enlist community help in promoting two important educational opportunities: Teen Brain Event on 3/29 & New Marijuana Event on 4/10
• March 18, 6:00-9:00pm – Blue Boat Coffee House will host a Sober St. Patrick’s Day Celebration at the First Parish Unitarian Church, 330 First Parish Road. Featuring local talent and a set from the Connelly Academy of Irish Dance of Hanover. Traditional Irish soda bread, baked goods and refreshments will be available for sale. This is a fundraiser for our partners at South Shore Peer Recovery. A donation of $5 is suggested. All ages welcome; substance-free event. www.southshorepeerrecovery.com
• March 19, Sciuate High School students Birch Swart and Darcy Milligan will perform in the parade, atop the float for South Shore Peer Recovery. Please cheer the group on, as they march to increase awareness and recovery support in our community.
• March 29, 6:30-8:00pm – Pre-Prom Event: “What’s so special about a teenage brain?” Dr. Harris from Harvard/Children’s – Junior Students & Parents attend for Pre-Prom Info. Dr. Sion Harris, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and researcher at Children’s Hospital returns for the sixth year. All are welcome (age 12+) to learn the latest teen brain science. We will share local statistics on youth substance use – and learn how the brain responds to alcohol and marijuana. Amazing prizes for students who will be attending the junior prom (free tix, hair, tux, spray tan, and more) – plus discounted tickets for sale! Students must be present to enter. 6:30-8:00pm, SHS Cafeteria. No pre-registration required.
• April 10, 6:30-8:30pm – “Vapes, Waxes & Dabs: What families should know about the new marijuana” Expert presenter Police Officer Jermaine Galloway. Adult audience only. Location: St. Mary’s Parish Center.We expect this to be a popular presentation, please pre-register: April 10th Sign Up Here
• April 25, 6:30-8:00pm – Final Open Coalition Meeting of the school year! Subcommittee work will continue over the summer, but this is our last formal meeting. Please join community members to learn how you can get informed and involved. We have some summer project work for teenagers, too. 6:30-8:00pm. New Location: Scituate Police Department, Scituate Public Safety Building, 800 CJC Highway.
• May 3, 7:00-8:30pm – Steve Maguire Co-Presents with Annmarie Galvin from FACTS “Changing Norms: How Not to be A Small Fishing Town with a Large Drinking Problem” The last drop-in discussion group in Mr. Maguire’s Parenting the Middle Years Series! 7:00-8:30pm, Gates Library
photo by Ann-Marie Rollo, www.amrollo.com