Please join us for an important Monthly Open Coalition Meeting!
Scituate FACTS Open Coalition Meeting Agenda
6:30 – 6:45 pm Welcome & Introductions
6:45 – 7:30 pm Working Session with Group: Full-Day Prevention Conference Concept
7:30 – 8:00 pm Review recent projects and upcoming activities (see details below)
The Scituate FACTS Coalition is proud of the programming we provide. We also realize that it’s hard for parents and community members to attend so many evening events! We are considering planning a one-day Prevention Conference next year – with a keynote speaker, and a variety of breakout sessions.
Please join us on Tuesday night to share your thoughts. What speakers, topics, resources should we cover? We welcome your opinions – as well as event planning, marketing, and business support. More info to come!
Updates since March Coalition Meeting
- March 18/19 – SHS musicians performed at Coffee house and in St. Patrick’s Day parade with South Shore Peer Recovery
- March 29 – Pre-Prom Event: “What’s so special about a teenage brain?” Dr. Harris from Harvard/Children’s – Amazing turnout of Junior Students!! Discounted tickets were a big draw. Great feedback on the latest in teen brain science. Thanks to students who shared statistics on youth substance use; parent volunteers, class advisors, businesses
- April 10 – Marijuana training for school/police (daytime) + Community Education (evening); “The New Marijuana: Vapes, Waxes & Dabs” Expert presenter Police Officer Jermaine Galloway
- April 21 – US Senator Edward Markey visited Scituate for an engaging Opioid Meeting.(The original “Prevention – Intervention – Treatment and Recovery” artwork was created by Scituate High School students – we love it! Looks so good at the new Public Safety Complex: https://www.facebook.com/pg/TownofScituate/)
Upcoming FACTS Events
- April 26, 7:00 pm – Scituate Town Meeting – Article 14 proposes a temporary zoning moratorium on local marijuana establishments, SHS Large Gymnasium
- May 3, 7:00-8:30 pm – Steve Maguire Co-Presents with Annmarie Galvin from FACTS
- “Changing Norms: How Not to be A Small Fishing Town with a Large Drinking Problem” The last drop-in discussion group in Mr. Maguire’s Parenting the Middle Years Series! Gates Library
- May 23, 2:30-4:00 pm – Scituate Public Schools representatives Jen Lopes LICSW and Greg Ranieri will share wellness initiatives with other Coalitions at the South Shore FACTS Meeting. All community members are welcome to learn what is happening in our region! South Shore VNA, 30 Reservoir Park Drive, Rockland. Last meeting on June 30th.
- May 25 – School nurses and colleagues to complete SBIRT training (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment) in preparation for next year’s risky substance use verbal screening
- June – “Choices” documentary – As part of a meaningful tradition for our graduating seniors, the Steverman family will share PJ’s story during the school day, followed by small discussion groups
- June plans for alcohol enforcement training for police and package stores/alcohol licensee, BAT at the Scituate Public Safety Complex
photo by Ann-Marie Rollo, www.amrollo.com